Sunday, June 24, 2012

Pirate Art

Pin It
I've recently been working on creating some fun elements for the design of a little boy's pirate-themed bedroom. My goal is to make him a room that isn't cartoonish, overly babyish or remotely Disney-esque. This morning, I found my inspiration in the current edition of Coastal Living.





I picked up this watercolor last summer at a yard sale thinking I could do something with it. 
It's been hanging in my laundry and while I liked something about it, it wasn't working on any level. 

So today I deconstructed it.
(It appears this was "real" art. Oops.)
 Using my Silhouette Cameo, I created the layout and then cut out the letters. I adhered them to the back of the painting since I liked the natural texture of the paper. 
The weave keeps the sign from looking "too perfect."
 Then I sprayed it with my favorite Rustoleum 2x spray paint and waited patiently for it to dry.


I LOVED the red with the blue, but pirates aren't patriots, so goodbye red, white and blue.

I sprayed the mat with a flat black and added the tiniest bit of Annie Sloan gold wax to the frame.

Here is my finished product. 
By using 100% recycled materials from around my own home, the total project cost = $0.




Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I love this. Great idea. Not babyish or Disney-ish. Very cute for a little boy or an old pirate!

    ReplyDelete